Grade 4/5/6

What is going on in Grade 4/5/6?

Responsible Pet Program

| 3 Comments

2015-03-16 12.28.50

On Monday the 16th we completed a Responsible Pet Program session. Sharon and Chester came in to talk to us about being a responsible pet owner.

One important thing we learnt was what to do if an angry dog approaches us.

Step 1 – Stand still: because if you start running the dog will panic and chase after you.

Step 2 – Hands down: If your hands are in the air the dog will think you’re trying to harm it, if your hands are in your pockets the dog will think you’re hiding something and will attack you.

Step 3 – Quiet as a mouse: Dogs have better hearing than us, so yelling will hurt their ears and it would alarm them.

Step 4 – Look at the ground: Dog’s find it very offensive if you stare them in the eyes so they will get very angry. Then wait until the dog goes away.

We also learnt how to approach a happy dog, and that we need to ask the owners permission to pet their dog.

Step 1 – Walk up slowly and stop. You should be a lead length away.

Step 2 – Ask the owners permission. If you don’t ask the owner the dog may get scared.

Step 3 – Let the dog smell the back of your hand (closed fist, thumb in), so they can identify you.

Step 4 – Step to the side of the dog and stroke gently from the collar to the start of the tail. This way the dog will not get scared and you are safely away from their head.

My favourite part was when we got to meet Chester, he licked me -Tahlia

My favourite part was all of it, because I had so much fun doing it. Especially when Chester licked my hand.-Jasmyn

Written by Tahlia and Jasmyn

Do you have any pets at home? How many and what types?
What animal makes the best pet and why?
If you could have any animal as a pet, what would you choose and why?

1. At home I have a grey and white cat, her name is Georgie and three gold fish and one black fish. I think a cat would be the best because when it’s cold they would snuggle up next to you. I would choose a cat because they play with you and they are so cute.

2. At home I have two guinea pigs and their names are Squikie and Rosie. I also have three Chickens, two Isa browns and one Silkie, their names are Chipie(Isa brown), Super Chick(Isa brown) and Bat Girl(Silkie). Soon I am getting a dog I’m soooooooo excited:)

3. At home I have a dog called Holly. She is a foxterrier/chihuahua and an albino rabbit called Marshmallow. I think that most animals are good pets because I can’t pick a favourite. If I could, I would have a Panda as a pet because they are big and cuddly.