Grade 4/5/6

What is going on in Grade 4/5/6?

Why do you think R.J.Palacio wrote ‘Wonder’?

| 11 Comments

If the padlet visual does not load first time you may have to reload the page or try a different browser. Chrome seems to work fine.

1. We have used this program before and i think it is really cool. IT is smart to use the internet for homework.

2. I read Wonder, and now it is one of my favorite books! It is interesting how the author writes from the points of view of so many different characters throughout the book. I hope you enjoy reading Wonder, and maybe even love it as much as I do.

3. I personally love Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It is interesting to see your different views on the book and why she wrote it. I like the differences in comments and ideas. I hope you enjoyed the book, it is one of my favorites.

4. How ironic, I am planning on reading “Wonder” myself! I’ve heard it’s a pretty amazing book. I’m looking forward to reading it. Can’t wait!!!!

5. Wow! I haven’t read Wonder before, but I’ll make sure to find it the next time we go out to the book store. 🙂

6. I have never read Wonder before… Hope you like the book, I bet it’s a good one.

7. I think that R.J. Palacio wrote Wonder because she experienced a situation regarding someone with a craniofacial deformity and felt sad or embarrassed to how she or people around her reacted. After probably looking for inspiration to write, she may have seen that helping people by exposing them to the point of view of someone they stare at when they pass them in the street. She probably wanted for people to stop judging a book by its cover and look beyond what someone seems like on the surface to who they are as a person, so wrote Wonder and gave a perspective so people aren’t as quick to judge someone based solely on looks.

8. I’ve never read Wonder, but I’ve heard about it and it seems like a really great book! I see that most of you agree that R.J Palacio wrote this book for entertainment and I totally agree! Books are written for pleasure (well other than textbooks), but I feel like R.J Palacio had a deeper meaning to this book. Since August has Treacher-Collins Syndrome, he has a difficult time fitting in because he looks different. Similar to society today, many kids feel excluded from their peers because they simply seem “different.” I think that a hidden meaning in the book may revolve this issue.

9. After reading the book, I believe R.J. Palacio wanted people to understand that “being different” is ok. August has Treacher-Collins syndrome which has given him an unusual face. He has had to wear a helmut to cover his “unusual” face. In the story, Palacio writes about how each of us are beautiful from the within and the without, and we should not have to cover or hide ourselves.

10. I have never heard of Wonder before, but now I want to read it. The story seems very interesting. I think that R.J. Palacio wrote wonder to tell that even if you are kind and courteous, that people will still try to find a way to criticize you; in this case, his medical condition.

11. At Chandler, we’re doing a DEAR program, or, Drop Everything And Read. For my book, I chose to read Wonder. That’s so cool that you guys are reading it too! I love it! I think that R.J. Palacio wrote it because she wanted to show people how it felt to be mocked or made fun of when you have a physical deformity or anything similar. Hope you enjoy the book!