Grade 4/5/6

What is going on in Grade 4/5/6?

Water Safety program

This week we have gone swimming for our Water Safety program. We have been learning about reach rescues and throw rescues. With a reach rescue you have to get something to reach out with, it needs to be big enough to reach out so the person can grab it . You lay down on your tummy and reach out to the person who is drowning and pull them to the shore. With a throw rescue you throw something that floats to the person who is drowning and encourage them to grab the thing that floats and not let go. Then encourage them to swim to a solid piece of earth.

Have you ever saved somebody who was drowning?
Do you know how to save somebody who is drowning?

1. I think practising reach rescues is really important. You never know when you might need to save someone. It’s essential to communicate to the person you’re saving at all times. You need to encourage them, give them clear instructions and reassure them that they will be okay. I helped my sister once by using a rope for a throw rescue.

2. Dear Grade 5/6,
    I know we never get in to the water to rescue someone.
    From Tiana

3. No, because I never go to the beach.

4. This is really cool that your learning about water safety. It is really important because you never know when you may see somebody who needs help. I also think it is really important because I like to scuba-dive and if I am in trouble, I want to know I am going to be safe because somebody else knows what to do.